I know that heading to Orlando for Disney and other parks is often an annual vacation for many families. Having lived in Florida for 20+ years I thought I would share some great places that aren’t theme park related. Whether you take a day trip or stay a couple nights before headed back home. Florida has a lot more to offer than just the parks. Of course, the parks are wonderful, but if you need a bit of a break here are some suggestions.
For a full post I posted on what to do in St. Augustine please see HERE
St. Augustine is a city on the northeast coast of Florida, just South of Jacksonville in St. Johns County. It lays claim to being the oldest city in the U.S., and is known for its Spanish colonial architecture as well as beautiful beaches. St. Augustine Beach, Vilano Beach and Crescent Beach. Anastasia State Park is a protected wildlife sanctuary. The Castillo de San Marcos is a 17th-century Spanish stone fortress with views of the St. Augustine Inlet.
I live in St. Johns County so I have more information on St. Augustine then other day trip locations listed, but wanted to give as much info as possible.
What to do:
- Marineland Dolphin Adventure
- Fort Matanzas
- Lighthouse & Maritime Museum
- Alligator Farm
- Red Train Tours
- Night of Lights (From Nov-Jan)
- Ripley’s believe it or not
- Ghost Train adventure
- San Sebastian Winery
- The Amp – has great concerts and events
- Jacksonville Zoo – this is about 45 mins from St Aug, but a great Zoo.
- Lightner Museum
Tampa Bay CityPass includes entry to all listed below
- • Busch Gardens® Tampa Bay
- • The Florida Aquarium
- • ZooTampa at Lowry Park
- • Clearwater Marine Aquarium
- • Option Ticket 1: Museum of Science & Industry (MOSI) OR Chihuly Collection presented by the Morean Arts Center
- Blue Springs State Park (Snorkeling, Manatees, Kayaking and more)
- DeLeon Springs State Park
- Old Spanish Sugar Mill
- Stetson Mansion